Friday, June 24, 2011

June 17-19 Music Review Part 1.

Live music is abundant in the Northwest United States. This past weekend proved to be no different than usual. Friday night in Seattle came with warm and dry weather, perfect for champagne and venue seeking. “Underground” shows often provide a positive, unique experience but, most times are difficult to locate in a foreign city. The neighborhood to the Religious Girls’ show was the only direction given, the rest was provided by, “word of mouth”. Not very sweet, like the beverage that was keeping my spirits high. After striking out questioning random street hipsters, I spotted Rudy’s Barbershop, a chic salon in the area. Through the glass I spotted a tastefully decorated scene sister who looked like she was savvy. I entered and approached, remembering to reinforce the fact that I was from out of town so she wouldn’t penalize me for my ignorance. My tact was rewarded with easy-to-follow directions to the event, which happened to actually be underground, (pretty clever).

Wham bam, right into the music as I descend stairs. Being the ever vigilant observer, I didn’t pay attention to the band names, oops. I came specifically for the Religious Girls anyways. So I got myself in, paid the suggested donation, (serious frowns if you fuck this up), and checked out the space. It was a cool live-in studio space with 3 bedrooms or so, a bathroom, kitchen and stage area. There was colorful and, seemingly all original art up everywhere. The whole place had a positive vibe going on, maybe that’s why it’s called Healthy Times Fun Club.

Unable to find the friends I was looking for, my impatience took me back outside to search for another tasty beverage before the Girls arrived. Wandering around the neighborhood I encountered Elysian Brewing Company, the yupster patrons were a slight turnoff but, their Idiot Saison more than made up for it. On my way back I ran into my friend and happily bounced back underground.

The Religious Girls and the last band, (?), definitely drew the largest crowds of the night. Their music is noisy, mathematical and somewhat tribal. It is most definitely dancey, and the free-moving audience reflected this. They brought their listeners into a trance and had them chanting along and shaking it out in no time, (actually, in many different times). I was captured by the energy myself and fervently rocked out until the set was finished. Afterwards, sweaty and satiated, I retired to the green room/bedroom to sip on some spiked cola.

No comments:

Post a Comment